Michael E. Cohen, Dennis R. Cohen & Lisa L. Spangenberg This is the eBook version of the printed book.
Bridging the gap between the palm-sized iPod touch and a full-sized computer, Apple's iPad 2 offers enough screen area and horsepower to perform the day-to-day tasks most people want to do. Packed with practical knowledge, this book will walk readers through how to manage their most common projects, from the simple (setting up a calendar event) to the complex (planning a vacation) and everything in between. Readers will learn to use the iPad 2 tools and applications by using them to create practical real-world projects and to master everyday tasks.
In this practical hands-on guide, you’ll learn how to
• Organize a party: Set up the calendar event, create invitations, invite attendees, and mail out the invites.
• Build a recipe scrapbook: Write up recipes in Pages (or find recipes via one of the useful recipe apps) and import pictures of the finished dish to go with the recipe in the book. Even learn iPad kitchen tips!
• Plan a vacation: Buy tickets, find destination activities, and map out directions.
• Watch videos: Stream videos with Air Video, convert high-quality movies from DVDs, and buy or rent videos from the iTunes Store.
• Get smart: Learn another language with one of the many translation apps available, and build an illustrated deck of flash cards with common words and phrases.
• Plus many more useful projects—both big and small— to help you do stuff with your iPad.
Michael E. Cohen, Lisa L. Spangenberg & Dennis R. Cohen In this eBook, you learn how to use the OverDrive Media Console app to open and read a library book that you download with your computer. You also learn how to use a different eBook reading app, Bluefire, that can also open eBooks provided by the OverDrive service and that offers a more flexible and convenient reading experience. (It can even "return" checked-out eBooks before the expiration date, if you want.) If you have access to a public library that provides the OverDrive service and a yearning for some eBook learning, this project's for you.
Jim Heid, Michael E. Cohen & Dennis R. Cohen This is the eBook version of the printed book. iPhoto '11 helps you organize, edit, and share your photos. With iPhoto '11 it's easy to organize and manage the thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of photos on your Mac by Faces, Places, and Events. iPhoto '11 also comes with editing and enhancement tools that rival those in expensive photo software. And finally Share what you shoot by publishing photos to your Facebook page and Flickr account or liven up someone's inbox with a beautiful email message designed with your photos. And do it all without leaving iPhoto. Let this book be your complete guide to managing all that iPhoto '11 has to offer. Beyond what other books offer this book guides you in how to work with iPhoto '11 today including integration with with the brand new iCloud service and OS X Lion.
Michael E. Cohen, Michael Wohl, Richard Harrington & Mary Plummer Apple Training Series: iLife 09. In the only Apple-certified guide to iLife '09, the authors have you working miracles with iLife within the first few pages. Featuring footage and images from around the world, this book/DVD combo uses real-life material and practical lessons that you can apply immediately to your own projects. Focused lessons take you step by step through all aspects of iLife '09--everything from organizing and sharing your photo library to creating polished video and soundtracks. Along the way, you'll produce movies, photobooks, podcasts, websites, blogs, and custom DVDs.
¯ Master the iLife suite of tools quickly through fun, real-world projects
¯ Turn your photos into cards, picture books, calendars, or a web gallery
¯ Add motion and music to a slideshow, then publish it online
¯ Create a video with polished transitions, music, effects, and even greenscreen
¯ Learn Hollywood-style® techniques for making better videos
¯ Build a soundtrack in GarageBand, and learn to score a simple movie
¯ Create websites, blogs, podcasts, and DVD menus in a snap.
**Please note: All media and exercise files can be accessed on a companion web page, see instructions included in your book**
Michael E. Cohen, Lisa L. Spangenberg & Dennis R. Cohen In this eBook, you start off by learning how to coordinate your computer-based collection with ComicBookLover on your iPad. Then you find how about Bookman, an iPad app that makes reading PDFs and comic-book archives very easy and enjoyable. Finally, you apps (usually publisher-specific) in which you can purchase digital comic books from your iPad.
Michael E. Cohen These days, an ever-increasing amount of "paper"--contracts, tax forms, bills, reports, and more--comes into our lives as PDF files. We generate this virtual paper too, since it's so much easier to save a document as a PDF and send it to a colleague via email than it is to print and send via fax or email. To read, edit, and manipulate all these PDFs, you need the appropriate tools and skills.
Given the high price of Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, many Mac users have turned to Smile's affordable PDFpen apps to help them sign PDF forms, handle scanned documents, make changes in existing PDFs, create new PDFs from a variety of sources, and to export PDFs to other file formats (including Word and Excel). With Take Control of PDFpen 9, you'll learn how to do all these tasks and more on your Mac with PDFpen or PDFpenPro or on the go with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone.
If you haven't used PDFpen before, this free book is an excellent way to find out what it has to offer.
Take Control of PDFpen 9 begins with a guide to purchasing options: PDFpen versus PDFpenPro, from Smile versus the Mac App Store, and the advantages of the iOS version. Next, you'll meet PDFpen with an overview of the PDF format and a tour of the interface.
With the basics out of the way, highlights of what you'll learn to do include:
- Add and remove pages, and combine pages from multiple files into one PDF.
- Mark up a PDF with highlights, comments, editing marks, and more.
- Edit a PDF by fixing typos, adding text, formatting text, and redacting confidential text.
- Scan a document into a PDF, and make the text editable with OCR.
- View and work with OCRed text in the OCR layer (PDFpenPro only)
- Add clickable links, page numbers, and images.
- Make a clickable table of contents (PDFpenPro only).
- Password-protect a PDF. And (PDFpenPro only), prevent others from printing or editing a PDF.
- Turn a PDF into a formatted Microsoft Word document, or (PDFpenPro only) export it in Excel or PowerPoint format.
And, you'll find directions for working with PDF forms:
- Fill out forms with ease.
- Add a handwritten signature.
- Apply a digital signing certificate.
- Print just form entries on a pre-printed form.
- Create an interactive PDF form (PDFpenPro only) that can collect data and send it to you via email or the Web. You can add an interactive signature field, which makes it easy for the form to be signed online.
An appendix describes the useful AppleScripts that ship with PDFpen.
This ebook was created in collaboration with Smile, with PDFpen's developers tech editing the book.
Michael E. Cohen Apple's Pages word processor is a big, rich app with hundreds of features tucked away in nooks and crannies, making Michael E. Cohen's comprehensive book an essential resource for newbies and experts alike. Whether you prefer to dive into the details or get quick help with a particular feature, this book has got you covered.
For this second edition, Michael expands his already extensive guide, detailing all the changes Apple has made to Pages since the last version of the book was released. Learn about new support for bookmarks, Web links, and Rich Text Format. Find out how you can now globally replace fonts, enter equations, and style tables and objects in your documents. Best of all, discover the possibilities for collaboration in real-time in Pages for Mac and Pages for iOS with iCloud!
With Michael's help, you can navigate Pages like a pro. Learn how to:
- Find where the tools you need lie, whether on the Mac, in iOS, or in the Web app
- Do everyday word processing, including working with fonts, tabs, indents, rulers, search and replace, spell checking, and more
- Format longer, more complex documents, with customized headers, footers, page numbers, tables of content, footnotes, and section breaks
- Manage styles, including paragraph styles, character styles, list styles, and object styles
- Create your own templates, complete with master objects
- Master the many multi-touch gestures on iOS that give you pinpoint control over page elements
- Include complex tables and charts and make them look exactly the way you want
- Customize layout and manipulate graphics like a pro
- Collaborate with others in real time using iCloud
- Share your documents across devices, using Mac, iOS, or almost any Web browser
Michael E. Cohen Join Mac expert Michael E. Cohen as he helps you enjoy the power of TextExpander 5, the award-winning text expansion utility from Smile.
With Michael's guidance, you'll learn how to create "snippets" of text (like your address) that you can insert into any text by typing a short abbreviation (for example, addd). You'll find steps for easily expanding your collection of useful snippets with the Snippet Creation Assistant and the Suggestions feature, and learn how to create more sophisticated snippets, including snippets with formatting, clipboard contents, fill-in fields, macros, and scripts.
You'll discover how to add snippet groups created by Smile and others, create and share your own groups, and sync groups with Dropbox or iCloud Drive. And, you'll find directions for taking advantage of your snippets on an iOS device with Smile's TextExpander touch app.
This ebook was created in collaboration with Smile. Thanks to everyone at Smile who helped us make the book even more detailed and useful!
Running TextExpander is like embedding a superhero typist in your Mac. Read Take Control of TextExpander to learn how to:
• Reply faster: If you frequently send similar bits of text--directions, chunks of legal writing, bios, product descriptions, company names, addresses, URLs, and so forth--let TextExpander type all that text for you quickly, making it a snap to respond quickly to customer questions or requests from colleagues, and a breeze to send other routine correspondence ("Dear Mom, I'm still not pregnant. Love, Me"). You can even create fill-in snippets that ask for details and fill in all the rest of the text automatically.
• Make typing more exciting: Automagically add the date to filenames as you save, to shorten URLs or to insert HTML or CSS tags in a flash, and more. It's like having another set of fingers.
• Type more accurately: Add the autocorrect dictionary groups from Smile and how to create your own autocorrection options, so you'll spend less time fixing common typing mistakes or going red-faced when you spot an egregious error too late.
• Enjoy life more: When you let TextExpander handle your routine typing, your brain will be free to think more creatively about the rest of what you type. And you just might knock off work a little sooner some days.
Specific questions answered in this ebook include:
• How do I register my demo copy of TextExpander or buy a family pack?
• What are some common uses of TextExpander that I can try as I learn?
• How can I quickly insert special characters like emoji, smileys, and stars?
• How do I use TextExpander to timestamp my text automatically?
• How can I make a TextExpander snippet that expands into a fill-in form?
• How do I work with formatted text and pictures in snippets?
• How do I handle capitalization and snippet expansions?
• How can I get to TextExpander quickly, and hide it when I don't need it?
• What do I do if I can't remember a snippet's abbreviation?
• How can I edit my snippets quickly?
• How do I insert a snippet immediately after a quotation mark or bracket?
• I do a lot of HTML and CSS coding. TextExpander sounds great, but how can I leverage someone else's work and not have to create my own HTML and CSS expansions?
Still using TextExpander 3 or 4? Buy this ebook, and you'll get the second edition, which covers TextExpander 5. In the second edition, access Ebook Extras and look in the blog to download a free copy of the first edition, which documents TextExpander 3 and 4.